Summer is quickly approaching us. And for many families, it means enjoying a vacation and leaving your home behind.
So how do you protect your home while you are away. Below are a few tips and tricks for you before you leave home, so you can concentrate on enjoying time with friends and family.
It’s a great idea to ask for help from a neighbor, family member or friend to house-sit. This helps with:
- If an emergency occurs (like a broken water pipe), the sooner you know about it and get help, the better.
- A friend or house-sitter can help deter intruders by making your house look occupied. They can keep your house from being an easy target by parking a car in the driveway, moving the garbage cans and picking up flyers or newspapers.
Inside your home, sweet home
- Make sure small electronic devices are off. If possible, unplug them. Some electronics use energy even when they’re turned off.
- Don’t leave your lights on through your vacation. This can add up to a hefty bill, and it looks a little crazy at night.
- Leave your curtains as you usually do. Closing them may draw attention, or keep helpers (like police or neighbors) from seeing something suspicious.
Before you go
- Try not to alert the world via social media/blog posts that you are gone. There have been many reports of burglars trolling the internet for good opportunities.
- Consider postponing your mail to keep it from piling up.
- Lock up and don’t leave a spare key.
- Make sure your home is covered with the right insurance policy.
Any questions, contact Blue Sky Insurance Agency at 321.636.8878.